[Unison-hackers] uimac14: TheGrowl vs NotificationCenter

Jan Hacker jan at hacker.ch
Wed Jan 28 17:59:55 EST 2015

Dear unison-hackers,

I recently wanted to build the latest stable version of unison for OSX Yosemite.
I think TheGrowl is considered 'legacy' in the meantime -- as OS X rolls its own
Notification(s)/Center... So I patched Unison (or more precisely: the uimac14)
to drop TheGrowl in favour of the OSX-builtin approach.

It 'works-for-me' so I thought I'd share the patch (against current SVN trunk).
Please try:
  curl http://n.ethz.ch/~hackerj/unison-nogrowl.patch | patch -p1
  make UISTYLE=mac14

The actual few lines changed are at the bottom of the patch, the beginning is
all about dropping TheGrowl -- maybe it's a bit too much to drop it completely
'yet'? At least for me ;), it results in a build that seems to work somewhat
smoothly (e.g. Notification settings for Unison.app can be controlled via
System Preferences' "Notifications" panel).

I've also thought about adding the possibility to let GUI users delete
(or even edit?) profiles...

Any thoughts?

thanks for unison/uimac14!
cheers,
jan

PS. I don't know whether this intentional or not ... but my own builds of
Unison.app lacked the application version string to be displayed in
'Get Info...' dialog of Finder. For my packaging purposes, I did a
/usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c "add CFBundleShortVersionString string ${VERSION}" package_root/Applications/Unison.app/Contents/Info.plist
... maybe something like this could make it somewhere into the Makefile?