[Unison-hackers] [FeatureReqest] auto-delete unneeded backup-files

Frederik Eaton frederik at ofb.net
Mon Sep 28 01:00:49 EDT 2015

Since Benjamin asked for other opinions, I'll agree that removing
backups of deleted files sounds like a bad idea, but I think there's
an issue regarding how to manage backups in general. My preference
would be to avoid having this complexity in Unison, but to make it
easy for users to delete backups made more than X days ago using a
special 'find' command with an example in the manual. Experimenting
with my own 'backup' directory, it looks like the 'mtime' of backups
reflects when the backup was made, is this correct? In which case one
could do

find .unison/backup/ -mtime +20 | xargs rm

to remove backup files created more than 20 days ago. However, running
just 'find' I now see that there seem to be some files in this
directory whose 'mtime' predates the time when I started saving
backups, so maybe 'mtime' isn't the right metric, or perhaps the
Unison code needs to be modified so that 'mtime' works for this
purpose.

Of course, I mostly use Unison backups to recover from typing the
wrong thing at the Unison prompt, so I could just delete the entire
backup directory as soon as I'm confident that I ran Unison correctly.

Frederick