[Unison-hackers] Update and cleanup plan for the macOS UI

Benjamin C. Pierce bcpierce at cis.upenn.edu
Fri Jan 11 20:05:19 EST 2019

Dear Michael,

All these changes should be very welcome.  To your questions:

> * Would it be OK to rename the folder from uimac14 to just uimac? Since this is the one and only macOS UI, the extra 14 seems confusing.

Yes, this rename is overdue.

> * What do think about localization? Is it too much effort to maintain in the future? Otherwise, I might also consider a German localization.

We’ve considered localization in the past, but the hesitation has indeed been that it might be hard to maintain (and, relatedly, might make a lot of the code quite a bit uglier).

> If this proposal is welcome, I would work on this in the coming weeks. I don’t want to make any projections for when I will be finished, though. My progress will be visible in my fork on GitHub: https://github.com/mroi/unison (I will take the liberty of reordering commits or rebasing against upstream at any time, so do not expect fast-forward updates.)

Thanks very much for your efforts (to come)!

> PS: Finally, I should thank you for this great tool. I heavily use Unison as part of my daily routine and it has easily helped me keep my sanity when working across multiple machines.

You’re welcome!

Best,

   - Benjamin