[Unison-hackers] OCaml version mismatch breaks Unison 2.48.4

Andrew Schulman andrex at utexas.edu
Fri Sep 4 10:00:14 EDT 2020

> Now, what I will do (I am the Unison maintainer in Debian) is embed the
> OCaml version in the package name (e.g. unison-2.52+4.08.1) so that one
> can have many combinations co-installed... but there will always be a
> single OCaml version in the official Debian archive for a given suite.

I'm willing to do this too for Cygwin. For now I'm planning to package

unison2.48+4.04.2
unison2.48+4.08.1

but that can change.

For the poor users who are trying to sync between, say, Cygwin and Debian,
I think it would help if the package versions were the same in different
distros. Then a user can just look and see that, for example,
unison2.52+4.08.1 is available on both sides, and just install that and not
have to worry about which OCaml versions are compatible with which others.

So if you know which versions you're planning to package for Debian, please
tell us here so I can package the same ones. And if the Unison maintainers
from other distros are also reading this list, it'd be good if we all
packaged the same versions.

BTW according to David Allsop on the Cygwin list[1], the first
incompatibility in OCaml's marshaling came in OCaml 4.08, and the next one
is coming in 4.11, although that one may not matter for Unison. So we
probably only need one pre-4.08 and one post-4.08 package for each Unison
version.

Andrew

[1] https://cygwin.com/pipermail/cygwin/2020-September/246101.html