[Unison-hackers] Way forward with protocol change and compatibility PRs

Tõivo Leedjärv toivol at gmail.com
Sat Jul 24 13:34:55 EDT 2021

This is a subtle reminder that reviewers are needed.

In my view, with these two PRs and Stéphane's Umarshal work taken
together, we are so close to ticking all the important boxes.
https://github.com/bcpierce00/unison/pull/507
https://github.com/bcpierce00/unison/pull/509

After merging these changes, we would achieve the following:
- Full independence from OCaml version
- Full independence from Unison version
- Full backwards compatibility with 2.51.x versions
  (that one still depends on OCaml version)
- Backwards-compatible extensibility
- Smooth (invisible) upgrade from 2.51.x (and older!) versions

I will continue maintaining those PRs for the foreseeable future.

What is a realistic way forward to get these changes reviewed and
merged (or rejected)?

--
Toivo