[Unison-hackers] README update, status

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Wed May 19 13:01:11 EDT 2021

I have done a rototill of README.md, merging in some text from
Benjamin's site.  While you can read the diff, it is probably better to
just look at the new version.  This has already been reviewed by
Benjamin and Tõivo, but some of my typos likely remain.  Please feel
free to comment in the PR or via email.

  https://github.com/bcpierce00/unison/pull/518
  https://github.com/gdt/unison/

This is one of the preparatory steps for a new release along the 2.51
stable branch.  The other is adjusting NEWS in the manual.  I view a
release as overdue; the last one was October 21.

I have merged a number of PRs recently, and generally like to let merges
settle a few days.  I am likely to merge the fsmonitor fixes, and
perhaps other fairly-clearly-safe things, before tagging 2.51.4rc3.

After that, there are PRs from Tõivo that implement wire protocol
negotiation so that we can have a softer transition to a new wire
protocol that doesn't depend on the ocaml version.  And, there is hope
of arranging a new marshalling format with backwards compat so that some
2.52.0 could use the new format with itself but use the old one with
2.51.x, or perhaps with 2.51.y where .y has the versions negotiation.
I'm not trying to understand all that yet -- just saying that I think
that's where we are going.

Greg