[Unison-hackers] intent to merge "RFC Version Handshake"

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Sun Jan 9 09:53:21 EST 2022

Tõivo has put a lot of work into "RPC Version Handshake", which is a way
for two unison programs to negotiate an RPC version, allowing old
versions to keep working while two new versions can choose a (not yet
added) version.  This is a compatible path to an ocaml-independent wire
format, not requiring a flag day.

We just had a release, and there's not much else ready to merge, so it
feels like a good time to me to merge this and look toward removing
ocaml version dependence.

I have not seen review comments from other than myself and Stéphane, and
I don't want to wait for comments that will not come.

So, if you are inclined to review:

  https://github.com/bcpierce00/unison/pull/507

please either comment there or for any really big-picture comments also
write here.

I will wait until 14Z on 15 January before hitting merge, and am likely
to do so as soon after as I get to it, unless there are comments that
lead me to believe I shouldn't.

Thanks,
Greg