[Unison-hackers] testing/review needed -- PR to remove ocaml version dependence

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Mon Jan 31 18:41:53 EST 2022

See:

  https://github.com/bcpierce00/unison/pull/626

for a full description of what it does, authorship, etc.  (mostly
Stéphane's work, brought forward by TÕivo).

I would like, fairly soon, to:

  merge this PR to master

  release an alpha, perhaps numbered 2.51.70, on the path to a 2.52.0
  release

By fairly soon, I mean "later this week or this weekend" and "sometime
next week, perhaps next weekend", assuming no issues are found.
So far, I know of no reasons to refrain from merging, but I would like
to actually run it myself, and recently I've had extra snow shoveling to
do.

It would be helpful if some of the people (400?) on the hackers list
could:

  read the code and speak up if you find problems, either here, comments
  whitin github, or directly to Tõivo and me.

  test in various scenearios (see the PR for test charts)

  in particular, testing cross OS, cross CPU type, cross endian would be
  very helpful.  I don't have any particular reason to suspect bugs, but
  this is structurally the kind of code that has that sort of bug.

I haven't been hearing anything back from previous mails to hackers, so
I don't intend to wait for review and testing that won't come -- which
will lead to users perhaps testing the beta and almost certainly testing
the release.  That shouldn't be that big a deal as we have infinitely many
version numbers available.

I do not expect to consider the new RPC version stable/unchanged until
there is an actual (non-alpha, non-beta, non-rc) release, so if you
test, 1) note that your archive files will be updated, and this is a
one-way trip and 2) you may have to flag-day upgrade the systems you are
testing on if we find a format bug while testing, at any time before
full release.  But since you're a hacker, that should be no problem!

Thanks,
Greg