[Unison-hackers] Question regarding multi-threading

J Snukis jjsnukis at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 18 16:00:08 EDT 2023

Upgrading the software will have to be a long term plan, unfortunately these servers are in use now.
I noticed that while we have 10 threads specified in the prf it seems to be running single threaded. Is the value a single number?
Also what would be the way to specify large files only? I see the option for maxsize but not for minimum.
I inherited this from the previous person so if these are simple questions my apologies.

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

On Thursday, April 6, 2023, 3:39 PM, Tõivo Leedjärv <toivol at gmail.com> wrote:

On Thu, 6 Apr 2023 at 19:51, jjsnukis at yahoo.com <jjsnukis at yahoo.com> wrote:

> We're currently running 2.48.4 and are seeing issue with latency.

I recommend you upgrade to the latest version which is 2.53.2. What
platform are you on? If you need help upgrading (if, for example, you
don't get a newer version from your package repository), I'm sure we
can sort it out together.

> We are getting file that are ~25GB and they are taking hours to sync, leaving a backlog of files. The .prf currently has maxthreads = 10 configured but it doesn't look as if the process is multi-threading.
>
> Appreciate any pointers to increase throughput, the person who configured this is no longer with us.

You should try the version upgrade first and see if it improves the situation.

Thinking ahead, if it's not possible to solve the problem with a
single .prf then it is possible to create multiple profiles for the
same replicas. One profile would sync everything except these big
files. The other profile would sync only these big files. Two separate
processes would sync these two separate profiles, so this will at
least avoid leaving a backlog of files.