[Unison-hackers] Multi-user, single UID ideas for Unison

Dan Christensen jdc at uwo.ca
Wed Nov 1 09:44:32 EDT 2023

On Oct 31, 2023, Greg Troxel <gdt at lexort.com> wrote:

> Dan Christensen <jdc at uwo.ca> writes:
>
>> One reason is that it gives you an easy way to clean them up if there
>> are some root pairs that you used at one point but no longer use.
>
> How do you do that?  Have you written scripts?  With them being in each
> root, they'd be removed if you remove the root, and if you want to
> remove all for a root, it's just rm * in the right dir.  With how things
> are now, you have to iterate over them all, extract the path, check for
> validity, and remove the ar and also the matching fp, and I've found it
> to be troublesome.

I usually just look at the timestamps and remove things that are old.
With the distributed set-up, I'd have to search the whole filesystem.
Also note that the same root can be part of multiple root pairs, so with
the proposed set-up, you couldn't necessarily just remove all ar/fp
files in a root, and you'd still have to filter by date or some other
means.

Dan