[TYPES/announce] PhD student position in Principled Application Security at Chalmers

Ana Bove bove at chalmers.se
Wed Sep 6 09:10:23 EDT 2023

Dear All,

This information might be of interest to many of you.

Note that phd students have full employment benefits in Sweden (pension,
sick and parental leave, paid holidays, etc).

Applications form the types community are welcome!

-----------------------

Come and join us as PhD student at Chalmers!

The PhD student will join he Chalmers Security & Privacy Lab
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.cse.chalmers.se/research/group/security/__;!!IBzWLUs!TotlEAYfzfj_Fbknf7OYGi81zObhMagfzm8DqkpiVq1q7UVzj_qmLYRAte_pkdp3atiEdh3Lx5_VGUJWo0vC-PY12YMLWg$  , a high-profile
group of researchers on security and privacy. Software is often the root
cause of vulnerabilities in modern computing systems. By focusing on
securing the software, we target principled security mechanisms that
provide robust protection against large classes of attacks.

The PhD student will join one of our ambitious projects:

-WebSec: Securing Web-driven Systems
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.cse.chalmers.se/research/group/security/websec/__;!!IBzWLUs!TotlEAYfzfj_Fbknf7OYGi81zObhMagfzm8DqkpiVq1q7UVzj_qmLYRAte_pkdp3atiEdh3Lx5_VGUJWo0vC-Pawldimow$  conducted
jointly with Uppsala University, and funded by the Swedish Foundation
for Strategic Research (SSF). Promotional video of our research on
securing web applications: https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://youtu.be/lUpUZQiLmTI__;!!IBzWLUs!TotlEAYfzfj_Fbknf7OYGi81zObhMagfzm8DqkpiVq1q7UVzj_qmLYRAte_pkdp3atiEdh3Lx5_VGUJWo0vC-PbC1HGjNw$
-WASP NEST CyberSecIT
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.cse.chalmers.se/research/group/security/cybersecit/__;!!IBzWLUs!TotlEAYfzfj_Fbknf7OYGi81zObhMagfzm8DqkpiVq1q7UVzj_qmLYRAte_pkdp3atiEdh3Lx5_VGUJWo0vC-PaIHSeGAA$  a
framework project conducted jointly with KTH and Umeå University to
explore the security and privacy of IoT applications, with emphasis on
software. NESTs are flagship projects of the Wallenberg AI, Autonomous
Systems and Software Program (WASP https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://wasp-sweden.org/__;!!IBzWLUs!TotlEAYfzfj_Fbknf7OYGi81zObhMagfzm8DqkpiVq1q7UVzj_qmLYRAte_pkdp3atiEdh3Lx5_VGUJWo0vC-PZ1w_43Cw$  ).

-VR NewGen project with Uppsala University on applications of
programming language-based, SMT solving, and symbolic execution
techniques to discover vulnerabilities and secure software systems by
construction.

The PhD student will be supervised by Prof. Andrei Sabelfeld
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.cse.chalmers.se/*andrei/__;fg!!IBzWLUs!TotlEAYfzfj_Fbknf7OYGi81zObhMagfzm8DqkpiVq1q7UVzj_qmLYRAte_pkdp3atiEdh3Lx5_VGUJWo0vC-PZR_Hsr6Q$  , recipient of a number of awards
by ERC, SSF, Google, Amazon, and Facebook as well as the Chalmers PhD
Supervisor of the Year award.

The PhD student position is limited to 5 years and includes 20%
departmental work, mostly teaching duties. Salary for the position is as
specified in Chalmers' general agreement for PhD student positions,
currently starting from 32,150 SEK per month before taxes.

The Department of Computer Science and Engineering
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.chalmers.se/en/departments/cse/__;!!IBzWLUs!TotlEAYfzfj_Fbknf7OYGi81zObhMagfzm8DqkpiVq1q7UVzj_qmLYRAte_pkdp3atiEdh3Lx5_VGUJWo0vC-PZh1z-YSQ$  is a joint department at
Chalmers University of Technology and the University of Gothenburg, with
activities on two campuses in the city of Gothenburg. The department has
around 300 employees from over 30 countries. Our research has a wide
span, from theoretical foundations to applied systems. We provide
high-quality education at Bachelor's, Master's, and graduate levels,
offering over 120 courses each year. We have extensive national and
international collaborations with academia, industry, and society.

Equality and diversity are substantial foundations in all activities at
Chalmers. Chalmers actively works with equal opportunity projects, for
example the GENIE initiative on gender equality for excellence
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.chalmers.se/en/about-chalmers/organisation-and-governance/equality/genie-gender-initiative-for-excellence/__;!!IBzWLUs!TotlEAYfzfj_Fbknf7OYGi81zObhMagfzm8DqkpiVq1q7UVzj_qmLYRAte_pkdp3atiEdh3Lx5_VGUJWo0vC-PZg3a2HZA$
.
Application deadline: October 15, 2023.

Apply here:
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.chalmers.se/en/about-chalmers/work-with-us/vacancies/?rmpage=job&rmjob=12069__;!!IBzWLUs!TotlEAYfzfj_Fbknf7OYGi81zObhMagfzm8DqkpiVq1q7UVzj_qmLYRAte_pkdp3atiEdh3Lx5_VGUJWo0vC-PaCMHexIg$

Best regards,
-Andrei