[TYPES/announce] PLMW at ICFP'24: Call for Participation (travel funding application by June 21)

Ningning Xie xnningxie at gmail.com
Fri May 24 15:52:18 EDT 2024

ACM SIGPLAN Programming Languages Mentoring Workshop (PLMW) at ICFP 24,
Milan, Italy

Workshop: Monday, September 2, 2024
Website: https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://icfp24.sigplan.org/home/PLMW-ICFP-2024__;!!IBzWLUs!W0Q-KY8lI9Y1Soy8o5CLT9A4CZfI3ugHE47Ef4UNM7L2lGClYsiC_gG957LNfNEOScplXCzHEejNCfpKrKUzopWQ4x1mXf6M$

PLMW is a workshop co-located with ICFP 2024 (the International Conference
on Functional Programming) in Milan, Italy, from September 2-7.

The purpose of this mentoring workshop is to encourage graduate students
and senior undergraduate students to pursue careers in programming language
research. This workshop will bring together world leaders in programming
languages research and teaching from academia and industry to help students
imagine how they might contribute to our research community. Topics will
range from the abstract (e.g., what is PL research and how does one become
involved in it) to the concrete (e.g., how to navigate an academic
conference, how to pick a research area) as well as technical talks on
cutting-edge topics.

We especially encourage women and underrepresented minority students, and
people with disabilities to attend PLMW.

This workshop is part of the activities surrounding ICFP, and takes place
the day before the main conference. One goal of the workshop is to make the
ICFP conference more accessible to newcomers. We hope that participants
will stay through the entire conference.

Note that ICFP and PLMW are planned to be largely in-person events. While
we recognize that travel to conferences is not easy for everyone, we do
hope you will be able to join us in person to get the most out of the
conference and its community-building aspects.

A number of sponsors have generously donated scholarship funds for
qualified students to attend PLMW. These scholarships can cover expenses
(airfare, hotel, and registration fees) for attendance at both the workshop
and the ICFP conference.

Students attending this year will get one year free student membership of
SIGPLAN, unless they prefer to opt out during their application.

The workshop registration is open to all. Students with alternative sources
of funding are welcome as well.

APPLICATION FOR PLMW TRAVEL FUNDING

For full consideration for scholarship funding, please apply at the link
below by June 21, AoE. We will notify accepted attendees in a rolling
fashion until all funding is committed.

The application can be accessed at the following URL  (Apply by June 21,
2024 AOE for full consideration!):
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://forms.gle/vC6udnMWRvvAczPR6__;!!IBzWLUs!W0Q-KY8lI9Y1Soy8o5CLT9A4CZfI3ugHE47Ef4UNM7L2lGClYsiC_gG957LNfNEOScplXCzHEejNCfpKrKUzopWQ47Gw07eR$