[TYPES] types

Gergely Buday gbuday at gmail.com
Tue May 13 11:03:14 EDT 2014

Greg Morrisett wrote:

> Today, a good compiler for a uni-typed language first reconstructs
> the underlying "Scott-types" (or some refinement thereof) in
> the hopes of avoid the costs of universal representations.
> (See e.g., the JVML, LLVM, GHC's IR, etc.)  So the practice
> and theory are quite aligned here:  types form the foundations,
> and the illusion of a dynamically-typed setting is there for
> convenience of the user.

What is strange here that even if a language is untyped, and I cannot
put enough quoting marks here, the programmer is thinking using types,
even in e.g. Javascript, and it is more difficult to teach it not
mentioning types. One should refer to the compiler that makes
something dubious with types. Of course Javascript is more written
than read and that is easier without explicit types.

- Gergely