[TYPES] type systems in terms of contexts and judgements

Prof Robert Harper rwh at cs.cmu.edu
Thu Jul 24 12:45:22 EDT 2014

I don't know what would be the first occurrence, but the term "judgement" and the use of hypothetical judgments (for which he refers to de Bruijn's AUTOMATH) appears in Martin-Loef's "Constructive Mathematics and Computer Programming" from 1978.  He addressed the concepts head-on in his two papers on philosophical logic, called "On the meaning of the logical constants and the justifications of the logical laws" and "Truth of a proposition, evidence for a judgment".

Prof Robert Harper
Carnegie Mellon CSD
rwh at cs.cmu.edu