[Icfp04-discuss] Evolutionary Ants

detlef at dpleiss.de detlef at dpleiss.de
Fri Jun 11 11:25:26 EDT 2004

On 9 Jun 2004 at 11:52, Jens Hauke wrote:

> Maybe try the same with less than 300 lines? I got much better results
> with very short ant programs (the search space is much smaller and
> good strategys dont need much code). The next improvement (i think):
> leave the goto's in each line nearly untouched to safe the program
> flow.

I guess 10000 random lines contain a lot of "dead strands", code that is never reached.
I assume if running different 10000 lines random code programs through the optimizers
as discussed lately you'll effectively get random size programs.

I used to change just one line of code per generation. If such a change happens in dead
code it effectively changes nothing. Then again in the other case it might activate a until-
then dead strand, so one line could make a big difference.

Anyway, I'm going to try what happens if I change more than one line of code per
generation.

ciao - Det.