number of rounds (Re: [Icfp04-discuss] multiple ants in one game)

Eijiro Sumii sumii at saul.cis.upenn.edu
Fri Jun 11 11:16:18 EDT 2004

From: "Clive Gifford" <clive at xtra.co.nz>
> What was the reasoning behind the 100000 tics per match? I've only
> experimented with longer runs a couple of times, but it would be interesting
> also to see what strategies might work better over a longer time period.
> Tortoise versus the hare and all that.

Yes, we've also thought about it very much.  In short, 100000 rounds
are just right (well, almost) to allow good ants to collect all food
in a world like the samples, while preventing "evil" ants---e.g.,
mainly killing other ants and rarely collecting food for
themselves---from winning.  Of course, both ants are interesting per
se, though.:)

--
Eijiro Sumii (http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~sumii/)
Department of Computer and Information Science, University of Pennsylvania