[Icfp04-discuss] Scheme, Ruby ?

Dmitri Kondratiev d_kondr at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 16 02:19:38 EDT 2004

--- Alejandro Forero Cuervo <bachue at bachue.com> wrote:
> Our team used Scheme to code  both our simulator and
> our compiler
> for ants.  We used the Chicken Scheme
> implementation.  There are
> more details in our page:
>
>     http://bachue.com/icfp/2004/
>
> Our  simulator  generates images  in  the  PNM
> format,  which  we
> convert to GIF  files using Imagemagick.  You can
> see an example
> animation in our team's page.

Why you decided to generate bitmap images instead of
using vector graphics ? Have not found apropriate
vector graphics library for Scheme ? Have you tried
"Scheme Widget Library (SWL)" [
http://www.scheme.com/contributed.html ] for
visualization ? It can be used with Petite Chez Scheme
[ http://www.scheme.com/petitecs.html ]

> Our simulator took around 30 secs  to run a 100.000
> rounds match.
> We didn't spend any time optimizing it.

It would be interesting to profile your simulator to
find the code consuming most of the time in a single
round. What structure you used to represent ant world
in Scheme ?
(I couldn't access your repository at:
http://anonymous:@svn.afc.no-ip.info:8000/svn/home/src/icfp/)

=====