[POPLmark] Poplmark Digest, Vol 10, Issue 5

Jevgenijs Sallinens jevgenijs at dva.lv
Mon Jun 5 15:03:24 EDT 2006

Quoting Hongwei Xi <hwxi at cs.bu.edu>:

> I would like to point out that for a system like ATS/LF, the justification
> for adequacy (when HOAS is involved) only relies on the strong
> normalization and Church-Rosser properties of the simply typed lambda
> calculus.

Hi,
Is it correct that need for 'adequacy' depends on if HOAS is involved?
Seems, Karl is speaking about this case, but Daniel and Michael about
establishing equivalence between different encodings withing same or different
LF, when no need to bother about HOAS assumptions.
In the last case strong normalizations required to ensure consistency, but
according to Goedel we couldn't proof consistency within the system itself.
Best Regards,

-- Jevgenijs Sallinens