[TYPES/announce] Two phase reviewing for POPL; a response

Andrew Myers andru at cs.cornell.edu
Tue Jan 12 10:57:33 EST 2010

The current two-phase proposal sounds to me as if it will significantly
increase the amount of reviewing work without significantly increasing
the quality of the reviewing process, for the reasons Derek has argued.

Why not look at the approaches other communities have taken? Several
major conferences in the networking, systems and security communities
have changed to a different two- or three-phase reviewing process in
which papers are rejected early in the process if they have enough
confident negative reviews. Only the best papers and papers with low
confidence continue on. I've seen this both as a PC member and as a PC
chair, and in my experience, it's great. The reviewing load is increased
only slightly, and both the quality of the reviews and the quality of
the decision process is improved. It's also more fun and educational to
be a PC member, because the average quality of the papers you review is
higher. And the accepted papers get more reviews, which also improves
the product.

I believe Tom Anderson first introduced this idea for SIGCOMM 2006; I
have more detailed notes on how this worked for IEEE Security and
Privacy (Oakland) 2009.

Cheers,

-- Andrew