[TYPES/announce] Two phase reviewing for POPL; a response

Michael Hicks mwh at cs.umd.edu
Wed Jan 13 18:47:38 EST 2010

It seems like a common desire in the many interesting responses so far
is to increase the effectiveness of the review process, to accept
deserving papers, and to provide good feedback to papers that need a
bit more work.

I'd just like to add my voice to Andrew's (below) that tiered
reviewing works well toward achieving these goals, somewhat to my
surprise.  The multiple phases of review increases the chances of
obtaining expert reviews.  The filtering in the early phases ensures
that interesting, but not universally-acceptable papers get more
reviews, which improves the quality of feedback.  I was a bit worried
that early-phase filtering might unfairly remove papers from the
process, but I don't believe that has ever happened on the PCs I've
been on; i.e., even a fairly conservative criterion for eliminating
papers from further consideration (e.g., the first two reviews are
both 'D') worked very well.  I'm sure Andrew can provide more stats on
this, for those interested.

Also, I've found the PLDI and ISMM "review committee" approach to
expanding the review pool to work pretty well, but I have no general
stats on that.

-Mike