[TYPES/announce] Two phase reviewing for POPL; a response

Alessio Guglielmi Lists at Alessio.Guglielmi.name
Wed Jan 13 02:18:27 EST 2010

Hello,

At 09:18 -0500 12/1/10, Prakash Panangaden wrote:
>It is indeed hard to change the culture, but
>conferences are where we should get the chance to throw out ideas rather
>than participate in a lek.

Precisely: the key word is IDEAS, not papers.

The hiring and tenure committees should look for, and perhaps count,
IDEAS, not papers, especially if at conferences. And the conferences
should serve the purpose of disseminating new ideas, not of
distributing medals.

There are so many `papers' produced, that, right now, in computer
`science', not even the authors read their own work. Thanks to cut &
paste we have now a ratio of reads/writes < 1.

Ciao,

-Alessio