[TYPES/announce] ACCAT 2013: final call for participation and invitation to discussion

Fabio Gadducci gadducci at di.unipi.it
Thu Mar 7 04:42:53 EST 2013

[Apologies if you receive more than one copy of the following announcement]

FINAL CALL FOR PARTICIPATION
AND INVITATION TO DISCUSSION
==========
8th International Workshop on
Applied and Computational Category Theory
ACCAT 2013

http://accat2013.zib.de/

Satellite Event of ETAPS 2013, Rome, March 17 2013
==========
Deadline for online registration: March 8

*Attendees are warmly invited to join the closing discussion. Please communicate your intention to deliver a position statement to the organizers.*
==========
Since the 1960s, the use of category theory in computer science has been a fruitful one, ranging form automata theory to algebraic specification to programming languages.

In recent years techniques and methods from CT have been adopted as a standard research tool, and considered as such in different venues around the world. The ACCAT workshop on "Applied and Computational Category Theory" has been one of these venues. Since its inception in 2006, ACCAT provided a forum where invited contributors presented their own research on different facets of category theory applied to computer science.

Despite ACCAT success, we believe that the formula should be revised. Indeed, we have the feeling that a conference is missing where all kinds of applications of category theory to computer science can be presented (like the former CTCS conference, which somehow ended in 2006). This year, we would like to use the ACCAT forum to raise this issue and to discuss it within a larger audience.

Thus, we invited 8 top researched in the area of application of category theory. The list of speakers are

Samson Abramsky
Robin B. Cockett
Barbara Koenig
Ugo Montanari
Till Mossakowski
Dusko Pavlovic
Andrzej Tarlecki
Glynn Winskel

We do hope that the meeting will be fruitful, providing a good exchange of ideas and planting the seed for future events. Indeed, one of the outcome of the meeting is to decide whether to push an high-level workshop/conference on the application of category theory to computer science, or at least to verify the viability of a Daghstul meeting on the issue. Therefore, after the presentations, the workshop will end up with a general discussion among the attendees.