[TYPES/announce] PostDoc position in parallel FP at Rochester Institute of Technology

Matthew Fluet mtf at cs.rit.edu
Wed May 22 08:39:08 EDT 2013

The Manticore project at the Rochester Institute of Technology (Rochester,
NY, USA) is offering a 2-year post-doctoral research position.  The
Manticore project (joint with the University of Chicago) is exploring the
design and implementation of a functional programming language with a rich
collection of explicitly- and implicitly-parallel programming features.
Our research thus far has delivered a compiler and runtime system capable
of demonstrating good parallel speedups on our 16- and 48-core test
systems.  See http://www.cs.rit.edu/~mtf/manticore for papers and more
information.

The goal of our next stage of research is to develop declarative language
mechanisms for the controlled use of shared state and nondeterminism in
implicitly-threaded parallel programs in order to increase their parallel
efficiency.  The successful applicant will be expected to contribute to
this research effort, which will include both semantic foundations and
efficient implementations.

* Requirements: Ph.D. in Computer Science (completed or near completion)
* Apply via e-mail to Prof. Matthew Fluet <mtf at cs.rit.edu> with:
    - a CV
    - a brief research statement
    - the names of two people who can be asked for letters of recommendation
* Start date: immediate (ideally, by the end of the summer)
* Duration: 2 years