[TYPES/announce] Call for Scholarship Applications: PLMW at POPL 2017 - Deadline October 23

Dimitrios Vytiniotis dimitris at microsoft.com
Fri Oct 14 11:35:28 EDT 2016

[Apologies for multiple copies, scholarship application deadline in less than 10 days]

CALL FOR SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATIONS (Deadline: October 23!)

ACM SIGPLAN Programming Languages Mentoring Workshop, Paris, France

Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Co-located with POPL 2017

PLMW web page: http://conf.researchr.org/track/POPL-2017/PLMW-2017

After the resounding success of the first five Programming Languages Mentoring Workshops at POPL 2012-2016 we proudly announce the 2017 SIGPLAN Programming Languages Mentoring Workshop (PLMW), co-located with POPL 2017 and organised by Loris D'Antoni, Eva Darulova, Alexandra Silva, and Dimitrios Vytiniotis.

The purpose of this mentoring workshop is to encourage graduate students and senior undergraduate students to pursue careers in programming language research. This workshop will bring together world leaders in programming languages research and teaching from academia and industry to provide (a) technical sessions on cutting-edge PL research and (b) mentoring sessions on how to prepare for a research career. The workshop will engage students in a process of imagining how they might contribute to our research community.

We especially encourage women, underrepresented minority students, and people with disabilities to attend PLMW.

This workshop is part of the activities surrounding POPL, the Symposium on Principles of Programming Languages, and takes place the day before the main conference. One goal of the workshop is to make the POPL conference more accessible to newcomers. We hope that participants will stay through the entire conference.

A number of sponsors (listed below) have generously donated scholarship funds for qualified students to attend PLMW. These scholarships should cover reasonable expenses (airfare, hotel, and registration fees) for attendance at both the workshop and the POPL conference.

Students attending this year will get one year free student membership of SIGPLAN, unless they prefer to opt out during their application.

The workshop registration is open to all. Students with alternative sources of funding are welcome as well.

APPLICATION for PLMW scholarship:

The scholarship application can be accessed from the workshop web site.

http://conf.researchr.org/track/POPL-2017/PLMW-2017#Scholarship-applications

The deadline for full consideration of funding is SUNDAY, OCTOBER 23. Selected participants will be notified by NOVEMBER 20 or earlier.

Confirmed sponsors so far:
NSF
ACM SIGPLAN
Amazon