[TYPES/announce] PhD opportunities in programming languages, testing and verification for heterogeneous many-core systems

Alastair Donaldson alastair.donaldson at imperial.ac.uk
Wed Nov 23 07:38:39 EST 2016

Dear all

[Please spread the word to folks you believe may be interested.]

I'm looking to recruit up to two PhD students, to start in October 2017,
to work on topics related to programmability of heterogeneous many-core
systems.  These are systems on top of which software is accelerated
across multiple cores, via accelerators such as GPUs and FPGAs, and
where new technologies such as cloud-assistance are employed to improve
performance and reliability.  Heterogeneous many-core systems have
immense promise, but are very hard to program correctly and efficiently,
and pose challenges for programmers, language designers and tool builders.

There's a great deal of scope for research in this area, and relevant
topic for PhDs in my group include, but are not limited to:

- New programming models for heterogeneous many-core systems, including
high level programming models from which to compile to lower-level
representations, as well as advances in the semantics and capabilities
of lower-level languages such as OpenCL, CUDA and HSA.

- Verification and testing techniques for many-core software, coping
with the challenges posed by concurrency, weak memory and non-uniform
semantics across diverse devices.

- Testing and certification of compilation for many-core platforms,
including translation validation from high level languages to lower
level representations, and fuzz testing of low-level compilers.

- Security threats posed by many-core unreliability, including exploits
induced by software, compiler and driver defects, and security
challenges associated with virtualisation of GPU devices in the cloud.

There is a rolling deadline for applications, but sooner is better in
terms of funding opportunities.

Please see my group's web page - http://multicore.doc.ic.ac.uk/ - for
the kind of things we do, and please contact me -
alastair.donaldson at imperial.ac.uk - if you'd like to discuss these
opportunities!

Best wishes

Ally