[TYPES/announce] 6 Assistant professor positions at the University of Utrecht

Wouter Swierstra w.s.swierstra at uu.nl
Mon Apr 24 15:10:08 EDT 2017

The department of Information and Computing Sciences of Utrecht
University is looking for:

   6 talented Assistant Professors in Information and Computing
   Sciences (Tenure Track 0.8 - 1.0 FTE) (Female/Male), including one
   Westerdijk fellowship (Female)

We have a strong tradition of research using functional languages --
please consider applying!

## Job description

We are searching for excellent candidates, preferably on the Assistant
Professor level.  Candidates must have expertise in Computing and
Information Sciences, related to our current research groups and
teaching programmes. We are looking for outstanding candidates who
will invigorate and enrich the scope of expertise of our Department
and can enhance its involvement in interdisciplinary research projects
within and outside the university. The quality of the candidate is
leading, but preferred areas of expertise are Data Science,
Programming Languages, Information Science, Computer Graphics and
Serious Games.  As teaching is an important and satisfying part of our
work we are searching for people with a demonstrable motivation to
teach. The preferred candidate has teaching experience, and is
actively interested in improving her or his teaching, the courses and
the teaching programme. Also candidates largely focusing on teaching
will be considered.

## Qualifications

Ideally your eligibility is exemplified by:

### Research:

* PhD in Computer Science, Information Science or another relevant
discipline;
* track record of international publications in leading conferences and
journals;
* experience with or good prospects for acquiring  external research funds;
* vision on future research directions in own area of expertise;
* experience with or readiness to supervise PhD projects;
* active role in international scientific communities.

### Teaching:

* enthusiasm for teaching and student supervision;
* ability to teach in departmental BSc and MSc programmes;
* vision on teaching and your own contribution to teaching.

Please note that we are also interested in candidates with a focus on
teaching!

### Leadership:

* play an active and cooperative role in the department and the
University;
* willingness to organize scientific events, such as research seminars
or teaching seminars;
* willingness to partake in departmental committees.

In view of the gender balance we strongly encourage qualified women to
apply.

## Offer

The candidate is offered a position for 3-5 years, depending on
experience (0.8 / 1.0 FTE). Depending on experience and the specific
field of expertise a tenure-track position could be offered.

Salary depends on qualifications and experience, and ranges between
3,068euro and 5,330euro (scale 10 - 12 Collective Labour Agreement
Dutch Universities) gross per month for a full-time employment. In
case of proven outstanding performance an appointment as associate
professor could be considered.

The salary is supplemented with a holiday bonus of 8% and an
end-of-year bonus of 8,3% per year. We offer flexible employment
conditions (according to a multiple choice model), working-from-home
facilities, partially paid parental leave, a pension scheme, and
collective insurance schemes.  Facilities for sports and child care
are available on our campus, which is only 15 minutes away from the
historical city center of Utrecht.

## About the organization

A better future for everyone. This ambition motivates our scientists
in executing their leading research and inspiring teaching. At Utrecht
University, the various disciplines collaborate intensively towards
major societal themes. Our focus is on Dynamics of Youth, Institutions
for Open Societies, Life Sciences and Sustainability.

The city of Utrecht is one of the oldest cities in the Netherlands,
with a charming old center and an internationally oriented culture
that is strongly influenced by its century-old university. Utrecht
city has been consistently ranked as one of the most livable cities in
the Netherlands.  The Faculty of Science consists of six departments:
Biology, Pharmaceutical Sciences, Information and Computing Sciences,
Physics and Astronomy, Chemistry and Mathematics. The Faculty is home
to 5,900 students and nearly 1,600 staff and is internationally
renowned for the quality of its research. The Faculty's academic
programmes reflect developments in today's society.

The Department of Information and Computing Sciences is nationally and
internationally renowned for its research in Computer Science and
Information Science. The research of the Department focuses on
fundamental aspects of Computing and Information Sciences. Current
research groups are Algorithmic Data Analysis, Algorithms and
Complexity, Decision Support Systems, Intelligent Systems, Simulation
of Complex Systems, Multimedia, Geometric Computing, Organisation and
Information, Software Technology, Software Technology of Learning and
Teaching. Relevant areas of interdisciplinary research include Game
Research and Technology, Foundations of Complex Systems, Applied Data
Science and Integrative Bioinformatics. The Department has, among
others, close collaborations with the University Medical Center, the
Departments of Physics and Mathematics, and the Faculties of
Humanities and Geosciences.

The Department offers Bachelor programmes in Computer Science and
Information Science, and four English language research Master
programmes in Artificial Intelligence, Business Informatics, Computing
Science, and Game and Media Technology. The Department is developing
Master programmes in Data Science. High enrolment figures and good
student ratings make the education very successful. The Department
currently comprises 9 full-time chairs and 100 other scientific staff,
including postdocs and PhD-students.

Due to our successful teaching programmes and our ambitions in
research the Department is expanding. We are therefore actively
searching for 6 talented Research and Teaching Assistant Professors in
Information and Computing Sciences. Please note that positions offered
will vary, depending on experience and expertise.

We will offer the top candidate a fully financed PhD position. We
offer the top female candidate a Westerdijk fellowship which includes
a fully financed PhD student and a 50K euro research budget. In case
this is the same person the second PhD student will be offered to the
second candidate on the list.

## Additional information

Additional information about the vacancy can be obtained from: Prof
M. van Kreveld, (M.J.vanKreveld at uu.nl), Research Director or Ria van
Vlimmeren (M.F.J.vanVlimmeren at uu.nl), Secretary to the Board of the
Department.  As part of the selection procedure, the candidate is
expected to give an outline of her/his research plans in a written
report and/or an oral presentation.

## Apply

Application deadline is 14 May 2017.  To apply go to:

https://www.uu.nl/en/organisation/working-at-utrecht-university/jobs

and please attach a letter of motivation, curriculum vitae and (email)
addresses of two referees.

## More information:
https://www.uu.nl/en
https://www.uu.nl/en/organisation/faculty-of-science