[TYPES/announce] CFP: Computing and programming in context - Philosophy and Technology

Tomas Petricek info at tomasp.net
Fri May 25 09:33:53 EDT 2018

Dear all,
Following two recent events on the history and philosophy of computing and programming (HaPoC 2017 in Brno and HaPoP 2018 in Oxford), we welcome paper submissions to a special issue of the Philosophy and Technology journal on "Computing and programming in context: The interplay between logic, science, technology and society".

The deadline for submission is 1 October 2018 and the call is open both to authors of contributions to HaPoC and HaPoP, and to submissions not presented at the aforementioned conferences. For more information, please see the full call for papers: https://www.shift-society.org/hapop4/special-issue.html A brief introduction is included below.

COMPUTING AND PROGRAMMING IN CONTEXT
The interplay between logic, science, technology and society

In a society where computers have become ubiquitous, it is necessary to develop a broader understanding of the nature of computing and programming, not just from a technical viewpoint, but also from a historical and philosophical perspective. Computers and computer programs do not exist in a vacuum - they are a part of a rich socio-technological context that provides ways for understanding computers and reasoning about programs (cognitive sciences and logic), they are made of technology that shapes the nature of computing and programming. Computers and programs also influence our understanding of the world (e.g. as a scientific instrument) or our relationship with the world (i.e. their sociological and psychological effects).

The aim of this special issue is to bring together works exploring computing and programming across their rich socio-technological, scientific and formal context. We are convinced that an inter-disciplinary approach is necessary for understanding computing and programming in their multifaceted nature. As such, we welcome interdisciplinary submissions by researchers coming from a diversity of backgrounds, including historians, philosophers and computer scientists.

Questions that consider computing and programming in a wider context include:

* What formal, societal and technological influences contributed to the way in which modern programs are written and modern computers are constructed?
* In what ways can computer programs lead to novel phenomenological experiences, be it through direct engagement with technological artifacts or as mediated through art?
* What is the role of programs and computer simulations in traditional sciences such as biology and physics?

If you have any questions regarding suitability of a topic, format of the paper, or anything else, please contact me (t.petricek at kent.ac.uk) or one of the co-editors (Mark Priestley, Helena Durnová and Giuseppe Primiero).

Thanks,
Tomas Petricek