[TYPES/announce] Professor positions in Computer Science at the University of Twente

m.huisman at utwente.nl m.huisman at utwente.nl
Thu May 9 13:45:48 EDT 2019

[The department of Computer Science of the University of Twente is hiring. Note in particular the positions in Topic 2, Topic 5 and Topic 7 which might be of particular interest for members of this list]

Within the Faculty of Electrical Engineering, Mathematics and Computer Science (EEMCS), the department of Computer Science is looking for highly motivated and enthusiastic Assistant/Associate/Full Professors (f/m) in the areas of Computer Architecture and Networking, Intelligent Interactive Systems, Software Science and in the area of Privacy & Security.

Within these identified focus areas we offer positions in the following sub areas:

*Computer Architecture and Networking:*

Topic 1. Data centric distributed networks

Focus on a data-centric approach in the entire design trajectory of distributed networks: from hardware, to the networking and processing for tomorrow's IoT and cyber-physical systems.

Topic 2. High level Synthesis of Embedded Computer Architectures

To realize power efficient, flexible, predictable, reliable, and secure embedded systems, embedded computer architectures (hardware and platform-software) are required that are designed in a way that addresses these aspects at a relatively high level of abstraction.

*Intelligent Interactive Systems*

Topic 3. Computational Models of Mind for Human-AI Interaction

Reasoning over interpreted human signals to support complex decision making and an ongoing human-agent dialogue will complement the strong expertise available on virtual agents, social robots and other AI machines that humans interact with.

Topic 4. Methods for Classification and Prediction of Human Behaviour

Coming to a generic description of dynamic behavioural models so that classification and predictions of human behaviour become possible, grounding and developing new appropriate machine learning methods to recognise human behaviour and generating adaptive AI responses in human-computer interaction.

*Software Evolution*

Topic 5. Software Evolution

Software Evolution investigates how to develop reliable software that can easily be maintained and extended and can be adapted to changing requirements and situations. This combines formal methods to guarantee reliability, with research on requirements, architecture-design and model-driven engineering

*Privacy and Security*

Topic 6. Big Data and Cybersecurity

Many of the cybersecurity challenges that we are facing today are related to Big Data. On the one hand, there are many security technologies and systems that require the processing of massive amounts of data (including attack, flow, DNS, application and usage data) to create signatures of (potentially) malicious behaviour. Such signatures can be used to create models to detect (ab)normal behaviour and attacks. Dealing with the rapidly increasing amount of data that needs to be processed requires novel techniques, such as machine learning and AI, in combination with domain specific knowledge. On the other hand, the ubiquitous collection of data poses the challenge of how to securely store and process this data. To achieve this, we need dedicated security technologies for Big Data that scale well with the growing amount of data to be processed.

Topic 7. Security and the Internet of Things

Our modern digital society completely depends on technologies like the Internet and 5G for our daily communication. In recent years we have witnessed the development of the "Internet of Things" (IoT), where automated sensors and systems exchange information to manage and control our digital society. A key problem with these new technologies is trust, since most are manufactured outside Europe. Not only may these systems and their data get compromised, but we even have to assume that (the capabilities to add) backdoors exist. Such threats put the digital independence of our (western) society at risk. A key challenge is to therefore develop new methods and techniques to design trusted devices, to detect and isolate untrusted devices, but also to protect data handled by such devices.

As an Assistant/ Associate and Full Professor
- You will spend your time 50/50 on teaching and research, a reduced teaching load in the beginning years is the norm;
- You will give lectures in English. Mastering the Dutch language is not a prerequisite, but naturally a long term goal;
- We strongly encourage a high degree of responsibility and independence, while collaborating with close colleagues, researchers and other university staff.
- You can more information about the positions here: Assistant Professor (https://fws.e-office.com/VSNU/fws.nsf/wwwpdfEN/Universitair_docent4/$File/Universitair%20docent4EN.pdf) , Associate Professor (https://fws.e-office.com/VSNU/fws.nsf/wwwpdfEN/Universitair_hoofddocent4/$File/Universitair%20hoofddocent4EN.pdf) and Full Professor (https://fws.e-office.com/VSNU/fws.nsf/wwwpdfEN/Hoogleraar4/$File/Hoogleraar4EN.pdf).

Your profile

- You have a PhD-degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Applied Mathematics, Electrical Engineering, or a related field;
- You have several years of scientific experience as a post-doc, assistant or associate professor, depending on the vacancy you are interested in. You preferably have international research experience;
- You have an existing track record in the relevant area shown by publications in high rank journals or strong evidence of high research potential;
- You have good communication skills and experience with teaching and advising students;
- You have, or are willing to acquire, a University Teaching Qualification (UTQ) or equivalent;
- You are fluent in English.

Are you up for the challenge to improve the world of Computer Science with your research as well as teaching in one of the most top-rated departments in the Netherlands?

How to apply

Please send your application *before May 26th*. viahttps://www.utwente.nl/en/organization/careers/!/121825/assistantassociatefull-professors-in-computer-science, and include:
- a motivation letter clearly stating how you meet the selection criteria and also outlining your research and teaching interests;
- a detailed curriculum vitae with the full publications list;
- your research and teaching statement.

You are welcome to contact prof.dr. Dirk Heylen for any questions you might have (d.k.j.heylen at utwente.nl<mailto:d.k.j.heylen at utwente.nl>)

Our offer

We offer an excellent and stimulating scientific environment with an attractive campus and lots of facilities for sports and leisure. The university provides a dynamic ecosystem with enthusiastic colleagues in which internationalization is an important part of the strategic agenda.
- We offer talented academics a clear and attractive career path, an Tenure Track is one of the possibilities;
- A structural position, starting with a temporary appointment with the prospect of a permanent position after a positive evaluation;
- The terms of employment are in accordance with the Dutch Collective Labour Agreement for Universities (CAO), and include:
- A starting salary from 3.637 (scale 11) to a maxium of 8.127 (scale H2) gross per month, based on relevant work experience;
- A holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary and a year-end bonus of 8.3%;
- A minimum of 29 leave days in case of fulltime employment based on a formal workweek of 38 hours. A fulltime employment in practice means 40 hours a week, therefore resulting in 96 extra leave hours on an annual basis;
- Professional and personal development programs;
- A solid pension scheme.

The organization

The University of Twente.
We stand for life sciences and technology. High tech and human touch. Education and research that matter. New technology which leads change, innovation and progress in society. The University of Twente is the only campus university of the Netherlands; divided over five faculties we provide more than fifty educational programmes. We have a strong focus on personal development and talented researchers are given scope for carrying out ground breaking research.

We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability status. Because of our diversity values we do particularly support women to apply.

The faculty of Electrical Engineering, Mathematics and Computer Science (EEMCS)
comprises three disciplines that shape Information and Communication Technology. ICT is more than communication. In almost every product we use mathematics, electronics and computer technology and ICT now contributes to all of societies' activities. The faculty works together intensively with industrial partners and researchers in the Netherlands and abroad and conducts extensive research for external commissioning parties and funders. The research which enjoys a high profile both at home and internationally, has been accommodated in the multidisciplinary research institutes: Mesa+ Institute, TechMed Centra and Digital Society Institute.