[TYPES/announce] CALL FOR SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATIONS: PLMW @ POPL 2020

Justin Hsu email at justinh.su
Wed Aug 28 17:55:45 EDT 2019

CALL FOR SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATIONS (**DEADLINE: OCTOBER 7**)

ACM SIGPLAN Programming Languages Mentoring Workshop, New Orleans, Louisiana
Tuesday, January 21, 2020
Co-located with POPL 2020
Web page: https://popl20.sigplan.org/home/PLMW-POPL-2020

After the success of the first eight Programming Languages Mentoring
Workshops at POPL 2012-2019 we are announcing the 9th SIGPLAN Programming
Languages Mentoring Workshop (PLMW), co-located with POPL 2020 and
organised by Stephanie Balzer, Justin Hsu, Robbert Krebbers, and Nobuko
Yoshida.

The purpose of this mentoring workshop is to encourage graduate students
and senior undergraduate students to pursue careers in programming language
research. This workshop will bring together world leaders in programming
languages research and teaching from academia and industry to provide (a)
technical sessions on cutting-edge PL research and (b) mentoring sessions
on how to prepare for a research career. The workshop will help students
imagine how they might contribute to our research community.

We especially encourage women and underrepresented minority students, and
people with disabilities to attend PLMW.

This workshop is part of the activities surrounding POPL, the Symposium on
Principles of Programming Languages, and takes place the day before the
main conference. One goal of the workshop is to make the POPL conference
more accessible to newcomers. We hope that participants will stay through
the entire conference.

A number of sponsors (listed below) have generously donated scholarship
funds for qualified students to attend PLMW. These scholarships should
cover reasonable expenses (airfare, hotel, and registration fees) for
attendance at both the workshop and the POPL conference.

Students attending this year will get one year free student membership of
SIGPLAN, unless they prefer to opt out during their application.

The workshop registration is open to all. Students with alternative sources
of funding are welcome as well.

APPLICATION for PLMW scholarship:

The scholarship application can be accessed at the following URL:

https://forms.gle/dzV8ELgQUx2xfEjm9

The deadline for full consideration of funding is Monday, October 7.
Selected participants will be notified by October 21.

Confirmed speakers (so far):
* Adriana Compagnoni, Stevens Institute of Technology
* Isil Dillig, UT Austin
* Derek Dreyer, MPI-SWS
* Marco Gaboardi, SUNY Buffalo
* Lindsey Kuper, UC Santa Cruz