[TYPES/announce] IE Webinar (Oct 21st): SMT Solving - Past, Present and Future

Kit Wan Chui kitwan.chui at informatics-europe.org
Mon Oct 18 04:51:16 EDT 2021

Dear colleagues,

We cordially invite you to participate to our *next Informatics Europe
webinar* on 21 October (Thursday):

*SMT Solving: Past, Present and Future**

Date: 21 October 2021, 5pm (CEST)

Speaker:

Prof. Dr. Erika Abraham, RWTH Aachen University, Germany

Register for the free webinar:
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.informatics-europe.org/survey/index.php/329989/lang-en__;!!IBzWLUs!APcr8ILLPwDDPKHN0xfXGdU6YS0oloyccYN10BmphbYCZipRLDbBluZ1IjbPzOYnHZJXuljPJx9VmA$ >

Webinar abstract:
Since the development of the first computer algebra systems in the '60s,
automated decision procedures for checking the satisfiability of logical
formulas gained more and more importance.
Besides symbolic computation techniques, some major achievements were
made in the '90s in the relatively young area of satisfiability
checking, and resulted in powerful SAT and SAT-modulo-theories (SMT)
solvers.
Nowadays, these sophisticated tools are at the heart of many techniques
for the analysis of programs and probabilistic, timed, hybrid and
cyber-physical systems, for test-case generation, for solving large
combinatorial problems and complex scheduling tasks, for product design
optimisation, planning and controller synthesis, just to mention a few
well-known areas.
In this talk we give a historical overview of this development, describe
shortly our own solver SMT-RAT, and discuss applications and some
fascinating new developments for checking the satisfiability of
real-arithmetic formulas.

About the speaker:
Erika Abraham graduated at the Christian-Albrechts-University Kiel
(Germany), and received her PhD from the University of Leiden (The
Netherlands) for her work on the development and application of
deductive proof systems for concurrent programs.
Then she moved to the Albert-Ludwigs-University Freiburg (Germany),
where she started to work on the development and application of SAT and
SMT solvers. Since 2008 she is professor at RWTH Aachen University
(Germany), with main research focus on SMT solving for real and integer
arithmetic, and formal methods for probabilistic and hybrid systems.

We look forward to meeting you at the webinar this Thursday.

Yours sincerely,

Informatics Europe

/*This webinar is part of the Informatics Europe webinar series offered
by IE since September 2021. These live webinars are hosted by
distinguished keynote speakers. They are free webinars, open to all who
have registered for participation through our webpage
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.informatics-europe.org/activities/webinars.html__;!!IBzWLUs!APcr8ILLPwDDPKHN0xfXGdU6YS0oloyccYN10BmphbYCZipRLDbBluZ1IjbPzOYnHZJXulhsdWXOJw$ >.
Recorded versions will also be available later on our YouTube channel
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZkorVL6sDa4nMWjxV2JtVg__;!!IBzWLUs!APcr8ILLPwDDPKHN0xfXGdU6YS0oloyccYN10BmphbYCZipRLDbBluZ1IjbPzOYnHZJXuljsybm8BA$ >.