[TYPES/announce] POPL 2022 Virtual Workshop this week

Adam Chlipala adamc at csail.mit.edu
Mon Jan 24 13:26:11 EST 2022

The in-person POPL 2022 conference week just wrapped up, but its
separate virtual supplement is about to begin!  We are planning two days
of high-interaction online events, scheduled to be accessible across
time zones.  Please consider attending, regardless of whether you
participated in last week's hybrid events.  We have a number of plenary
sessions and networking opportunities planned; see below for details.

Check out the web site for the virtual workshop:

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://popl22.sigplan.org/track/POPL-2022-virtual-workshop__;!!IBzWLUs!Hk1Guf8dMsuaTHILbmOx7EqT-JU4lvnxBatu6nZy0xII84MBbsLma3qr1uQPFsToQlmbpOn96iq-xw$

There are two ways to participate.  The less-interactive way is to watch
a YouTube stream, which will be embedded in the page above, closer to
the event.  The second way is to register for POPL and join in the
Airmeet virtual-conference software:

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://regmaster.com/2022conf/POPL22/register.php__;!!IBzWLUs!Hk1Guf8dMsuaTHILbmOx7EqT-JU4lvnxBatu6nZy0xII84MBbsLma3qr1uQPFsToQlmbpOn4mRIbhA$

Registrations from hybrid POPL Week also grant access to the virtual
workshop, using the same Airmeet software.  Those who want the full
virtual-workshop experience but didn't register for hybrid POPL Week can
still register at the relatively low virtual-only rate.

  What's happening at the virtual workshop?

Hang out in the Lounge section of Airmeet, to video-chat with authors of
POPL Week papers or discuss whatever's on your mind.

Join a speed-networking session to be randomly matched with others on
complementary sides of four divides: POPL sponsor companies chatting
with job seekers, faculty chatting with prospective faculty and PhD
students, mentors chatting with junior-faculty mentees, and mentors
chatting with senior-PhD-student and postdoc mentees.  If a short
conversation reveals that an even longer conversation is called for, use
Airmeet's "private meetings" feature to schedule something that becomes
integrated into your personal view of the workshop schedule (or use your
own out-of-band mechanism, of course).

Then there are the plenary sessions, designed to be interactive, with
speakers taking live questions and adjusting demos accordingly.

In our first keynote, Lukasz Kaiser
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.linkedin.com/in/lukaszkaiser/__;!!IBzWLUs!Hk1Guf8dMsuaTHILbmOx7EqT-JU4lvnxBatu6nZy0xII84MBbsLma3qr1uQPFsToQlmbpOkFo6AVSg$ > from OpenAI
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://openai.com/__;!!IBzWLUs!Hk1Guf8dMsuaTHILbmOx7EqT-JU4lvnxBatu6nZy0xII84MBbsLma3qr1uQPFsToQlmbpOkuCDICZg$ > will present their Codex
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenAI_Codex__;!!IBzWLUs!Hk1Guf8dMsuaTHILbmOx7EqT-JU4lvnxBatu6nZy0xII84MBbsLma3qr1uQPFsToQlmbpOm-lm7OwA$ > system, including an
interactive demo and Q&A. This is the programming-by-machine-learning
system that has so many people excited lately!

Our second keynote is from Andreas Rossberg
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://people.mpi-sws.org/*rossberg/__;fg!!IBzWLUs!Hk1Guf8dMsuaTHILbmOx7EqT-JU4lvnxBatu6nZy0xII84MBbsLma3qr1uQPFsToQlmbpOmLFL5uDA$ >, who is a lead designer of the
formal semantics for WebAssembly <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://webassembly.org/__;!!IBzWLUs!Hk1Guf8dMsuaTHILbmOx7EqT-JU4lvnxBatu6nZy0xII84MBbsLma3qr1uQPFsToQlmbpOkOIO8lhg$ >, in addition
to playing other key roles in the design and support of that language,
meant to be the ideal cross-platform compiler target for the web and
more. He will tell us about the social and technical sides of that
effort. If you haven’t already, you might want to consider targeting
WebAssembly from your next research compiler!

In our first tutorial, Hakjoo Oh <https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://prl.korea.ac.kr/*pronto/home/__;fg!!IBzWLUs!Hk1Guf8dMsuaTHILbmOx7EqT-JU4lvnxBatu6nZy0xII84MBbsLma3qr1uQPFsToQlmbpOlOCFf5Hw$ >
will teach us how to bring machine-learning tools into program-analysis
research.

Our second tutorial is Rustan Leino <https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://leino.science/__;!!IBzWLUs!Hk1Guf8dMsuaTHILbmOx7EqT-JU4lvnxBatu6nZy0xII84MBbsLma3qr1uQPFsToQlmbpOntjT--uA$ > showing off
some of the more advanced features of his Dafny
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://github.com/dafny-lang/dafny__;!!IBzWLUs!Hk1Guf8dMsuaTHILbmOx7EqT-JU4lvnxBatu6nZy0xII84MBbsLma3qr1uQPFsToQlmbpOn9Iars8A$ > verification tool.

Our first panel is on /the future of proof assistants for programming
languages and math/, featuring Kevin Buzzard
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.imperial.ac.uk/people/k.buzzard__;!!IBzWLUs!Hk1Guf8dMsuaTHILbmOx7EqT-JU4lvnxBatu6nZy0xII84MBbsLma3qr1uQPFsToQlmbpOl1muPPKQ$ >, Favonia
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://favonia.org/__;!!IBzWLUs!Hk1Guf8dMsuaTHILbmOx7EqT-JU4lvnxBatu6nZy0xII84MBbsLma3qr1uQPFsToQlmbpOmkw3BqOA$ >, Zhong Shao
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.cs.yale.edu/homes/shao-zhong/__;!!IBzWLUs!Hk1Guf8dMsuaTHILbmOx7EqT-JU4lvnxBatu6nZy0xII84MBbsLma3qr1uQPFsToQlmbpOlyxW4qJA$ >, and Nicolas Tabareau
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://tabareau.fr/__;!!IBzWLUs!Hk1Guf8dMsuaTHILbmOx7EqT-JU4lvnxBatu6nZy0xII84MBbsLma3qr1uQPFsToQlmbpOl_kFbvFQ$ >.

Our second panel, on /the future of concurrency and parallelism/,
features Stephanie Balzer <https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.cs.cmu.edu/*balzers/__;fg!!IBzWLUs!Hk1Guf8dMsuaTHILbmOx7EqT-JU4lvnxBatu6nZy0xII84MBbsLma3qr1uQPFsToQlmbpOm4teAPIQ$ >, Jeehoon
Kang <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://cp.kaist.ac.kr/jeehoon.kang/__;!!IBzWLUs!Hk1Guf8dMsuaTHILbmOx7EqT-JU4lvnxBatu6nZy0xII84MBbsLma3qr1uQPFsToQlmbpOnSKh_Smw$ >, Keshav Pingali
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.cs.utexas.edu/*pingali/__;fg!!IBzWLUs!Hk1Guf8dMsuaTHILbmOx7EqT-JU4lvnxBatu6nZy0xII84MBbsLma3qr1uQPFsToQlmbpOkq-u2dZg$ >, and Ilya Sergey
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://ilyasergey.net/__;!!IBzWLUs!Hk1Guf8dMsuaTHILbmOx7EqT-JU4lvnxBatu6nZy0xII84MBbsLma3qr1uQPFsToQlmbpOkVB1reOw$ >.