[TYPES/announce] LAFI 2023 - Call for Extended Abstracts (deadline Oct. 20) - POPL 2023 workshop on Languages for Inference

Christine Tasson christine.tasson at lip6.fr
Wed Sep 14 03:01:59 EDT 2022

                      Call for Extended Abstracts

                               LAFI 2023
              POPL 2023 workshop on Languages for Inference

                             January 15, 2023
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://popl23.sigplan.org/home/lafi-2023__;!!IBzWLUs!We13TOkHK6r79ITgJsnjSiC0J-JvnnUEmorBUJceT1pQydIhGTH1g6q6xM1cJbfefFQGlBtYx08xx9pHkEPJ1ImAH5z60u0AeP5wQzKGoZc$
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://popl23.sigplan.org/home/lafi-2023__;!!IBzWLUs!We13TOkHK6r79ITgJsnjSiC0J-JvnnUEmorBUJceT1pQydIhGTH1g6q6xM1cJbfefFQGlBtYx08xx9pHkEPJ1ImAH5z60u0AeP5wQzKGoZc$  >
                Submission deadline on October 20, 2022!

** Submission Summary

Deadline: October 20, 2022 (AoE)
Link: https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://lafi23.hotcrp.com/__;!!IBzWLUs!We13TOkHK6r79ITgJsnjSiC0J-JvnnUEmorBUJceT1pQydIhGTH1g6q6xM1cJbfefFQGlBtYx08xx9pHkEPJ1ImAH5z60u0AeP5wWzrAsS8$
Format: extended abstract (2 pages + references)

** Call for Extended Abstracts

Inference concerns re-calibrating program parameters based on observed
data, and has gained wide traction in machine learning and data science.
Inference can be driven by probabilistic analysis and simulation, and
through
back-propagation and differentiation. Languages for inference offer
built-in
support for expressing probabilistic models and inference methods as
programs,
to ease reasoning, use, and reuse. The recent rise of practical
implementations
as well as research activity in inference-based programming has renewed the
need for semantics to help us share insights and innovations.

This workshop aims to bring programming-language and machine-learning
researchers together to advance all aspects of languages for inference.

Topics include but are not limited to:

- design of programming languages for inference and/or differentiable
programming;
- inference algorithms for probabilistic programming languages,
including ones that incorporate automatic differentiation;
- automatic differentiation algorithms for differentiable programming
languages;
- probabilistic generative modeling and inference;
- variational and differential modeling and inference;
- semantics (axiomatic, operational, denotational, games, etc) and types
for inference and/or differentiable programming;
- efficient and correct implementation;
- and last but not least, applications of inference and/or
differentiable programming.

We expect this workshop to be informal, and our goal is to foster
collaboration and establish common ground. Thus, the proceedings will
not be a formal or archival publication, and we expect to spend only a
portion of the workshop day on traditional research talks. Nevertheless,
as a concrete basis for fruitful discussions, we call for extended abstracts
describing specific and ideally ongoing work on probabilistic and
differential
programming languages, semantics, and systems.

** Submission guidelines

- Submission deadline on October 20, 2022 (AoE)
- Submission link: https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://lafi23.hotcrp.com/__;!!IBzWLUs!We13TOkHK6r79ITgJsnjSiC0J-JvnnUEmorBUJceT1pQydIhGTH1g6q6xM1cJbfefFQGlBtYx08xx9pHkEPJ1ImAH5z60u0AeP5wWzrAsS8$

Anonymous extended abstracts are up to 2 pages in PDF format, excluding