Cut-Elimination in Linear Logic (was: (no subject))

Frank Pfenning fp at cs.cmu.edu
Wed Nov 19 15:55:08 EST 2003

Hi Phil,

  the question is addressed in

Frank Pfenning. Structural cut elimination in linear logic. Technical
Report CMU-CS-94-222, Department of Computer Science, Carnegie Mellon
University, December 1994.
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~fp/papers/cutlin94.pdf

  A newer paper treating the intuitionistic case (and natural
deduction):

A Judgmental Analysis of Linear Logic
Bor-Yuh Evan Chang, Kaustuv Chaudhuri, and Frank Pfenning.
Technical Report CMU-CS-03-131, April 2003.
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~fp/papers/jill03.pdf

  This second paper is currently under revision, but as far as
cut-elimination is concerned it is close enough.

  Literally, what you call "cut" in your example is not an instance of
your cut rule, because the formulas "B" and "!B" do not match, but you
can see from the above papers how this can be fixed.

  - Frank