TYPES: Changing of the guard

Benjamin C. Pierce bcpierce at saul.cis.upenn.edu
Wed Jan 7 11:14:36 EST 2004

Dear Types readers,

The Types Forum is now more than a decade and a half old.  Begun by Albert
Meyer, it was carried through the early 1990s by Philip Wadler.  I've served
as moderator since 1996.

It's been a great time: the field of type systems (and programming languages
more generally) has matured and expanded in amazing ways, and the Types list
has helped provided cohesion and communication within the community as it
grew; list membership has ballooned from a couple hundred to over a
thousand.  I've had great fun and learned an enormous amount myself during
these years.  However, all things must change, and it is time now for me to
hand the baton to a new moderator.

It gives me great pleasure to introduce your new moderator, Stephanie
Weirich.  Stephanie is known to many of you already from her many research
contributions over the past several years, in particular her elegant work on
intensional type analysis.  I'm delighted to be leaving the list in such
capable and knowledgeable hands.

Though I won't be moderating Types, I will certainly still be reading it!
Good luck and best wishes to Stephanie.  Thank you all for your
contributions to Types, past and future, and I look forward to continuing
our work together in this most excellent area.

    - Benjamin

P.S.  The handover of moderation will be accompanied by some modernization
of infrastructure: Stephanie will be moving to a MailMan-based list
management scheme.  We *hope* that this transition will be invisible (it's
been mostly working for some weeks already), but you may notice some
glitches as we get all the subscribed addresses moved over to MailMan.  New
instructions for managing subscriptions, address changes, etc., will be
posted by Stephanie in due course.