[TYPES] Article on proof theory of type theory

Anton Setzer a.g.setzer at swansea.ac.uk
Sun Feb 29 17:10:10 EST 2004

Dear all,

I have written an overview article over type theory of Martin-L"of
type theory. It is intended for the reader who doesn't know
much about proof theory but has some knowledge about type theory.
I hope it is easy to read.

It is available via
http://www.cs.swan.ac.uk/~csetzer/articles/overviewProofTheoryTypeTheory2004.pdf
(Versions in .dvi, .ps, .bib format are as well available by
exchanging .pdf by these extensions)

Related articles are available from my homepage,
http://www.cs.swan.ac.uk/~csetzer

Anton Setzer

Abstract
~~~~~~~~

We give an overview over the historic development of proof theory and
the main techniques used in ordinal theoretic proof theory. We
argue, that in a revised Hilbert's programme,
ordinal theoretic proof theory has to be supplemented
by a second step, namely the development of strong
equiconsistent constructive theories.  Then we show,
how, as part of such a programme, the proof theoretic
analysis of Martin-L"of type theory with
$\Wrm$-type and one microscopic universe containing
only two finite sets is carried out.
Then we look at the analysis
of Martin-L"of type theory
with $\Wrm$-type and a universe closed under the
$\Wrm$-type, and consider the extension
of type theory by one Mahlo universe  and its proof-theoretic analysis.
Finally we repeat the concept of
inductive-recursive definitions, which extends the notion
of inductive definitions substantially. We introduce
a closed formalisation, which can be
used in generic programming, and explain, what is known about
its strength.

$\Wrm$-type, well-founded trees, Kleene's O, Mahlo universe, inductive-recursive definitions, generic programming.

Anton Setzer                            Telephone:
Department of Computer Science          (national)        (01792) 513368
University of Wales Swansea             (international) +44 1792  513368
Singleton Park                          Fax:
Swansea SA2 8PP                         (national)        (01792) 295708
UK                                      (international) +44 1792  295708

Visiting address:                       Email: a.g.setzer at swan.ac.uk
Faraday Building,                       WWW:
Computer Science Dept.                 http://www.cs.swan.ac.uk/~csetzer/
2nd floor, room 211.