[TYPES] P.S. to "Suggestions for Advanced Programming course materials"

Benjamin C. Pierce bcpierce at saul.cis.upenn.edu
Mon May 10 11:08:04 EDT 2004

I should have added that we are, of course, also considering Java and C#
as possibilities.  But the students already see a lot of Java (and C) in
their other coursework, so it would be nice to expose them to some of
the programming ideas and habits of thought encouraged by functional
languages (persistent data structures, structural recursion, ...).

Ideally, one would do 3/4 of the course in a functional language and use
the remaining time to show students how they can transfer idioms from
these languages to more commonly used languages such as Java and C#.

    - Benjamin