[TYPES] FInCo 2005: FOUNDATIONS OF INTERACTIVE COMPUTATION -- CFP

Goldin, Dina dqg at engr.uconn.edu
Fri Sep 24 15:08:08 EDT 2004

Dear Martin,

>> However, a satisfactory foundation of interactive
>> computation, analogously to the one that Turing Machines
>> and lambda-calculus provide for algorithms, is still lacking.
>
> i take issue with that statement. in fact i think it's wrong.
> in what sense are various process calculi worse foundations
> for interactive computation than Turing Machines and lambda
> calculus provide for algorithms (whatever you may mean by
> algorithms)? of course many of the existing approaches
> towards modeling concurrency have their problems, but that
> is also true of these sequential models.

There is nothing wrong with process calculi.  We were referring
specifically to the lack of a unifying foundation for interaction,
one that provides a common perspective for the many "existing
approaches towards modeling concurrency".  This has now been
clarified in our CFP (at http://www.cse.uconn.edu/cse/finco05/).

Perhaps this goal is too ambitious?  You are encouraged to
submit a position paper on this matter!

Sincerely yours,

Dina