[TYPES] FInCo 2005: FOUNDATIONS OF INTERACTIVE COMPUTATION -- CFP

Bill Rounds rounds at mac.com
Sun Sep 26 22:56:54 EDT 2004

The point is that even to agree that what the sequential models
have in common is the concept of computable function, we have to
presuppose the concept of function. When TMs and the lambda calculus
were invented, the inventors were trying to qualify the function
concept,
to say which functions were computable.

Sequential operating systems, on the other hand, aren't about functions
at all. They are about playing a game with the environment, a win
for the system  being the ability to continue the game forever. You
could
even imagine a TM that took on this role, but that wasn't why TMs came
into existence.

Your last question is a good one, which has to do with being able to
classify
all of the (admittedly mathematical) models in terms of a single
device-independent
mathematical model of their behavior, and perhaps even their structure.
That is
what Robin Milner is trying to do with his bigraphical reactive
systems. The structural
part of the problem is one reason I am not sure that games are the
complete answer.

Bill