[TYPES] union types and overloading

Joshua Dunfield Joshua_Dunfield at mlist-0.sp.cs.cmu.edu
Mon Oct 4 02:14:23 EDT 2004

Kwangkeun Yi wrote:
> I would like to extend our ML compiler's type system so that it allow
> functions to be defined over the sum of multiple datatypes. (union types?)

Frank Pfenning and I have a couple of papers on typechecking union
types (and intersections) that may be of interest:

  http://gs146.sp.cs.cmu.edu:8080/joshuad/papers/union-assignment/
  http://gs146.sp.cs.cmu.edu:8080/joshuad/papers/tridirectional-typechecking/

Important earlier work on unions/intersections includes Reynolds' Forsythe
papers and Benjamin Pierce's dissertation.

This work is on generic union types, not only unions of algebraic
datatypes; if you only need unions of algebraic datatypes, perhaps
work on extensible datatypes (like SML's `exn') would be more useful.

Best,
-j.