[TYPES] Terminology in operational semantics

Johan Glimming glimming at kth.se
Tue Feb 15 23:27:58 EST 2005

Hi,

I am confused by what I think appears to be different notions of
operational semantics. Nielson-Nielson seems to distinguish natural
semantics from structural operational semantics, whereas Winskel
considers (in a remark) natural semantics one particular notion of
structural operational semantics. Also we have big step semantics
versus small step semantics.
On the other hand, some researchers distinguish  between reduction
semantics and operational semantics, and I am not clear about how this
relates to the above notions, if at all.

 From this, I wonder what is the "standard" or "preferred" terminology.

Best Wishes,
Johan Glimming