[TYPES] Latex input mode

Giuseppe Castagna Giuseppe.Castagna at ens.fr
Thu May 26 13:10:12 EDT 2005

Hello,
    this is a little bit off-topic, but I thought it might be useful to many of
the persons in the "types" mailing list. When I write e-mails I often use latex
commands to express formulas. So I have lines such as:

   \Gamma\vdash\lambda x.x : \forall \alpha. \alpha\rightarrow\alpha

Since now Unicode characters are accepted by more and more e-mail clients, I
thought it would be nice if every time I write a line such as the above, then
the formula as it would be typeset in latex were displayed instead. So I wrote
an iiimf input table that does it. You type the line above and your mailer prints

    Γ ⊢ λx.x : ∀α.α→α

[if in the line above you see garbage instead of the judgment corresponding
  to the latex formula, then your e-mail client does not understand utf8]

which is far more readable (if your correspondent can read utf8, of course). So
if you use an e-mail client that accepts Unicode (e.g. Mozilla, Thunderbird,
Evolution, ...) and have iiimf unit input modes (all Linux distributions use it,
I do not know whether other OS do), you may be interested to install it: it is
just the matter of copying two files in the right place and adding two lines in
a config file. It is available at
http://www.di.ens.fr/users/castagna/iiimf-latex.tar.gz

I apologize with the persons not concerned by this mail.

---Beppe---