[TYPES] normalization and programming languages

Yong Luo Y.Luo at kent.ac.uk
Wed Nov 16 12:52:28 EST 2005

Hi,

Let's answer a simple question: is M of type A?
For simply typed lambda-calculi, computation (or reduction) is not needed.
So, strong normalisation is not important at all. For example, ML and
Haskell don't require termination.

But for dependently typed lambda-calculi, we need to decide whether two
terms are equal. For example, if M is of type Vector(n) and n is "equal" to
m, then M is of type Vector(m). Strong normalisation is perhaps one of the
key requirements to decide whether n is "equal" to m.

Epigram requires termination. I have implemented a type system which doesn't
check totality but do require termination.

Yong
Dr. Yong Luo
Computing Laboratory
University of Kent