[TYPES] normalization and programming languages

Andrew Kennedy akenn at microsoft.com
Wed Nov 16 15:22:38 EST 2005

In a compiler, if a set of reductions is strongly normalizing, then the compiler can apply them exhaustively to an intermediate-language term without fear of looping. (We rely on this in the MLj and SML.NET compilers' "simplify" compilation phases, which apply simple reductions and directed commuting conversions until a normal form is reached. Though it has to be said that it's not the *classical* SN results that are relevant here, but something more specific to our intermediate language and the simplifying reductions that we employ).

- Andrew.