[TYPES] stricter moderation...?

William Lovas wlovas at stwing.upenn.edu
Thu Dec 22 15:20:48 EST 2005

On Thu, Dec 22, 2005 at 01:07:02PM -0500, Benjamin Pierce wrote:

> > How about a types-announce for the announcements and types (or
> > types-discuss) for discussion?  I know a few people who've kicked this
> > idea around but I don't know if anyone's actually suggested it to the
> > list.
>
> I'm not against it, but I don't believe this would solve the basic
> problem we're discussing -- the difficulty of keeping the signal-to-
> noise ratio high enough that people want to stay tuned in.

Actually, it might.  Mailman allows lists to be moderated, and offers a
very simple web-based approval interface.  I think it also allows you to
setup a customized "rejection" message, which could be made to explain what
sorts of posts are appropriate for types-announce.

Types-announce could then be a fully moderated list, while types-discuss
could be open to subscribers, as types is now, a policy that seems more
appropriate for a discussion-oriented list.

The only problem i see is there's no good way of keeping people from
sending announcements to the discussion list.

William