[TYPES] teaching discrete math and logic to undergraduates

Derek Dreyer dreyer at mpi-sws.org
Sat Aug 22 04:39:17 EDT 2009

Olivier's example brings up an important point that as a student I
remember being confused about.  It's possible that Jean's very
interesting notes already discuss this point, but at first glance I
didn't notice it.

Proof by contradiction (and law of excluded middle) are perfectly
valid principles even in constructive logic, for SOME propositions of
interest.  In the Minesweeper example, a critical axiom of the game is
that every cell is in one of two states: either it contains a mine or
it is empty, but not both.  Given this axiom, the student's intuitive
proof-by-contradiction or excluded-middle-elimination strategy for
Minesweeper is perfectly constructive, since the proposition in
question (whether a cell contains a mine) is known constructively to
be either true or false.

For me, the important moral is to be aware that when you do proof by
contradiction, you should have a pretty good reason to believe that
the theorem you are proving is actually either true or false.

Derek