[TYPES] Implementations using explicit substitutions

Alan Jeffrey ajeffrey at bell-labs.com
Thu Jan 7 10:28:27 EST 2010

Back in the mists of time (when the design of OO languages with generics
were the new new thing) I ran a course on design of OO languages.  The
interpreter used explicit substitutions as the model of variable
binding, which provides a nice bridge between the formal model of
substitution and an interpreter based on dictionaries.

The course description, including the sources (you'd be after
hobbes.transform.Substitution) is at:

    http://fpl.cs.depaul.edu/ajeffrey/se580/

or you can just run the applet (yes, an applet, did I mention the class
was a while back?) at:

    http://fpl.cs.depaul.edu/ajeffrey/se580/applet/

which shows explicit substitutions in action.

Alan Jeffrey.