[TYPES] Grand Challenge Problems?

Matthias Felleisen matthias at ccs.neu.edu
Sat Jan 16 17:25:38 EST 2010

Dear Purush Iyer,

what is a "grand challenge"? I naturally know the funding agency
answer:

 a tool for extracting a huge amount of money from politicians
 who need something graphic to convince voters that their spending
 is acceptable and produces 'good' things

but I'd like to know whether there's a "scientific" definition
that would make it worthwhile discussing the idea on a science
mailing list.

Thanks -- Matthias