[TYPES] Grand Challenge Problems?

Purush Iyer purush.iyer at gmail.com
Sat Jan 16 22:14:55 EST 2010

Derek

 Thanks for the pointer.  I do remember looking at these discussions after
09 POPL.  But they did not, unfortunately, solve my quandry

 By "scientific" I am referring to problems that need either new mathematics
to be invented or perhaps a new method.  It is hard to define what is
scientific, though I am sure all of us would be able to say when presented
with an example whether it is a scientific problem or not.

 I consider problems posed by Alan Mycroft's 1980 paper (on call-by-need and
value) and his 1984 paper (on Recursive type schemes) as posing scientific
questions.   The former led to ten years of papers in POPL and other places
(with nifty ideas by Hudak, Mishra, Jensen and others).  The latter led to
the notion of semi-unification (by Henglein, Kfoury and others).   At the
risk of sounding  vain, I consider my 1997 paper in TAPSOFT on quantitive
reasoning in Probablistic Lossy Channel Systems as raising a nice scientific
question in Formal Methods; it took the discovery of notion of attractors in
infinite markov chains (by Alex Rabinovitch, Parosh Abdulla and others) to
solve the problem effectively.

 My question is simple:  Show me problems that are scientific, that need new
mathematics or blindingly new insights to solve.   I am stumped while
explaining what the deep problems in our field are to Physicists and Control
Theoreticians.   In all of this I realize that work in PLS is synthetic in
nature -- part science, part engineering -- and that, may be, we typically
make up a problem and solve it right away.   Perhaps there are no scientific
grand challenges; but, I dared to ask anyway.  Thanks for hearing me out.

sincerely
Purush Iyer