[TYPES] Grand Challenge Problems?

KS Sreeram sreeram at tachyontech.net
Sun Jan 17 08:29:50 EST 2010

Here is a grand challenge:

Make a clean, expressive, high-level programming language which
has performance that _equals_ C++.

Many programming languages have features that make it safer/cleaner/more
expressive than C++. But every one of those languages sacrifice performance
in the process of achieving those features.

The following line of research doesn't seem to have been explored much:

How far can we go in terms of safety and expressiveness without sacrificing
even an iota of performance?

---
KS Sreeram
Tachyon Technologies