[TYPES] Two-tier reviewing process

Benjamin Pierce bcpierce at cis.upenn.edu
Thu Jan 28 20:47:57 EST 2010

I'm suspicious of statistics about number of X reviews.  I know what X
is supposed to mean ("I am an expert in the topic") but in practice I
see many people (including myself) acting as if it means "I understood
the paper completely," and therefore often falling back to Y to
indicate things like "Although I'm an expert, the paper was poorly
explained and I couldn't completely understand it in a reasonable
amount of time."

This isn't to say that comparing figures for POPL and ICFP is not
worthwhile -- just that the numbers themselves should be taken with a
grain of salt.

     - Benjamin